The IAOA Advisory Board advises the Executive Council, fostering continuity and long-term development of the Association. The Board is charged to provide such advice regarding IAOA strategy and initiatives, to stimulate coherence and continuity in ongoing IAOA activities, and to overview election and ballot procedures.
Members of the Advisory Board include the two previous IAOA presidents, retiring members of the outgoing Executive Council who have agreed to serve in this capacity, and experts appointed by the Executive Council on the basis of scientific authority, their technical experience, or overall contribution to the ontology community. Advisory Board members are expected to share the overall belief of the IAOA in the value of formal ontology and to contribute from their own areas of expertise, linking where relevant with other communities in which they are active.
Current Advisory Board
- Nicola Guarino (ISTC-CNR, Trento, Italy)
- Joao Paulo Almeida (Federal University of Esprito Santo, Brazil)
- John Bateman (University of Bremen, Germany)
- Stefano Borgo (ISTC-CNR, Italy)
- Anthony Cohn (University of Leeds, UK)
- Antony Galton (University of Exeter, UK)
- Giancarlo Guizzardi (Federal University of Esprito Santo, Brazil)
- Heinrich Herre (University of Leipzig, Germany)
- Werner Kuhn (University of California Santa Barbara (UCSB), USA)
- Mark Musen (Stanford University, USA)
- Leo Obrst (MITRE, USA)
- Barry Smith (University at Buffalo, USA)
- Zena Wood (University of Greenwich, UK)